Environmental Health Services

The Environmental Health Division provides a variety of environmental health services to the public.  Some of the services include on-site wastewater, private water supplies and restaurant inspections.  There are fee and non-fee services available to the public.  Most environmental health services require an application be submitted with a fee for the services requested.

The services that require an application are as follows:

on-site wastewater, lot evaluations, permits, system inspections, system repairs, well water, new well permit, repair permit, abandonment permit, water sampling, environmental services application, pools, migrant inspections, tattoo permit, food service application, restaurant operation permit, food stand, and day care.

Applicants should be submitted to the local health department in the county you are requesting the service.  Find the address and phone number for the appropriate health department listed here.

Martin-Tyrrell-Washington District Health promotes these simple measures to ward off ticks and mosquitoes and to reduce breeding sites.

  • Keep grass short, and remove plants that attract animals such as deer and rodents;
  • Pour out standing water, and remove containers that can hold water;
  • Keep gutters clean and in good repair;
  • Repair leaky outdoor faucets and change the water in bird baths and pet bowls at least twice a week;
  • Check window and door screens;
  • Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks;
  • Read label instructions for repellents containing DEET; and
  • Talk with your veterinarian about treatments for your pets.

Please call Environmental Health at 252-791-3107 for more information

Food, Lodging, Institutional, and Swimming Pool Sanitation

Protecting the citizens from unnecessary environment risks has always been a priority of Public Health. The Department of Environmental Health inspects all restaurants, food and drink stands, mobile food units, push carts, temporary food stands, stands at festivals, meat markets, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast establishments, schools, childcare facilities, residential care homes, tattoo artists & establishments and swimming pools to ensure that they comply with the sanitation standards established by the state health department. For more information, please call 252-793-3023.

On-site Sewage Disposal

Sites are evaluated for their suitability to dispose of sewage in a safe and sanitary manner. The evaluation is based on the soil quality, topography of the land and its intended use. Permits are issued or denied in accordance to the criteria established by state law. On-site sewage disposal systems are designed, inspected and monitored according to state law.

Private Water Supplies

Water samples are periodically taken from state approved private wells and establishments under our inspection program to ensure the safety of private drinking water supplies. These supplies include but are not limited to small mobile home parks, food service facilities and other establishments that are regulated by this office. For more information, please call 793-3023.

Migrant Camp Inspections

Migrant camps are inspected to ensure that the wastewater facilities and drinking water supplies are in accordance with the state sanitation rules. The inspection is done prior to occupancy and the proper forms are filled out and mailed to the NC Department of Labor and the Agricultural Safety and Health Bureau who then certify the facility for use. Please call 793-3023 for more information.

Lead Poisoning

The Health Department investigates places where children live, go to school or spend significant amounts of time. Environmental Health Specialists work with families and/or businesses, such as childcare facilities, to reduce the risk of exposure to hazards. For more information, please call 252-793-3023.

Environmental Health Division Addresses

Click on the department for contact through our online form.

210 West Liberty Street
Williamston, NC 27892
252.793.1626 or 1.888.388.9208

308 Bridge Street
Columbia, NC 27925
252.793.1760 or 1.888.388.9208

198 NC Hwy. 45 N
Plymouth, NC 27962
252.791.3107 or 1.888.388.9208